Thursday, December 08, 2005

I've been sitting here staring at the computer screen for a few minutes wondering what to write about. It's not as if there's nothing going on in my life right now. Believe me, there is, and maybe that's why I'm having a hard time focusing on just one thing.

For example, this is what I did yesterday:

  1. Took hubby to work at 3:30am so I could have the car to take the kids to school. Actually, I've been doing this for the last 5 weeks. It's a real pain, but the school bus doesn't come very near our house and with us still new to the city, it was a bit intimidating for all of us to make the kids walk several blocks to a bus stop and then ride the bus to school. So, the solution is what it is.
  2. Took the kids to school.
  3. Spent some time online checking out job listings and such. Hubby doesn't like the 4am thing and wants to find something new.
  4. Went to the Social Security Administration because I lost my SS card and needed to get a new one. That thing alone took an hour and a half. :::sigh:::
  5. Came home and discovered a message from the son's school. He forgot his shoes because he had to wear his boots today. Snow! So, I had to take his shoes to him so he could participate in gym class.
  6. Picked hubby up at work at 2pm.
  7. Got some lunch at Wendy's.
  8. Picked the kids up at their schools, and discovered the son's glasses were broken.
  9. Went to Walmart (we purchased them at the Walmart in Michigan last year) to see if they could be repaired. They could not, so an appointment was made for the exam to get new glasses.
  10. Went home, gathered a few things to take to the laundromat. That's right. We don't have a washer/dryer at home. Ugh.
  11. Threw the things into a couple of washers and.....
  12. Took the son to a pizza party.
  13. Finished up the laundry and rushed home to be there when the son got home. Couldn't leave him out in the cold!
  14. Crashed on the couch and surfed the 'net for awhile.
  15. At 10pm, the noises in my stomach alerted me to the fact that I forgot to eat dinner. So ...
  16. I made some popcorn,
  17. And then went to bed.

I guess my brain is overloaded. I know that I need to find a job, just a part time job, because I want to take some college classes in January. At first we thought that I could just go to school full time, but with the hubby not happy with his current job, I don't really want to do that right now. I'm nervous about making such an important decision without at least one of us having a reliable job. So, I think I'll just start out taking a couple of classes.

The hubby and I worked for 17 years with the Salvation Army, and all we had as far as education goes were 2 year AA degrees. We very quickly learned that comparable positions in other companies/agencies require at least a bachelor's degree. It's a good thing that the SA gave us a nice little severance package to fall back on right now, because we are both finding it difficult to get hired based on the education we have. Seventeen years worth of good solid work experience is fabulous, but a degree helps quite a bit, especially during these times.

So, it's back to college we go.

I feel like I woke up after a 17 year nap, but I'm not any older, and there is my mother standing there asking, "Laurie, what do you want to be when you grow up?" Only the big difference between being 24 and being 41 when asked that question is that I now have two children to provide for.

There's an incredible feeling of liberation when you quit a job that you've had for so long. The future is there before you, and you can decide to do whatever you want to do. Coupled with that, though, are some bitter feelings about the circumstances that caused us to leave the job. But, we are making a brand new start. We can't turn back time.

What I can do is take everything one step at a time. Remember to breathe. Remember to smile, especially at the kids and the husband. Pray. Think wisely and make good decisions. Do nothing with too much haste. Love those around me.

Yes. I think I can do these things.

4 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

Good for you!! And Laurie, while you're remembering to breathe, also remember to eat.

:o)

5:22 AM  
Blogger Ann Marie said...

Saturday, December 10, 2005
List ten things that make you happy (in no particular order), and then tag five people to do the same.

Because Christina tagged me after being tagged by Paula who was tagged by Cynthia and asked the question what are the ten things that make me happy in random order:

http://Aynetal3.blogspot.com

Now I am suppose to pick out five people I'd like to see do this ... Who to pick? Hmm, I don't think it would be cheating too much to find people from within the community. I had help in this by going back to Cynthia's list and discovering:

Laurie, Candace, Lisa, and two new time favorites Gabreael and Louie!
So happy to meet you all!

Yep, Laurie - You've been tagged!

Our best,
Ayn

posted by Ayn @ Saturday, December 10, 2005

7:15 PM  
Blogger Ann Marie said...

Hi Laurie, I just wanted to add one more thing. I understand the college education thing. I am 46 and went back to school in May this year. Not always easy, but I found it doable to get an on-line degree ... just a consideration due to your hectic schedule. I chose Capella University. If you would like to look at it it can be found at Capella.edu. Just to help your thoughts along :) Good luck with your choices! (Oh yeah, they offer traditional student loans :))

7:01 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Your head is in the right place, so I have no doubts y'all will make things work out well. I think I'm going to copy your last paragraph as a reminder to myself.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home